[Wine] Sometimes Unresponsive, others just not working

adragon202 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Oct 3 02:27:47 CDT 2010

Here's the deal. When I first installed wine I was able to run games like Starcraft 2 and Guild Wars without any issue what-so-ever. I didn't even have to configure anything. However, I since have performed an update which required a restart, and have since not been able to run very many things.

Certain applications like game launchers (such as those for Land of Chaos Online and Guild Wars) work perfectly, I can also run my console emulators without a hitch.

Other times though it doesn't respond at all, I can see that it's doing something, but then it eventually stops, giving me nothing. I checked the running jobs, and I haven't found anything related to what I was trying to run.

When it comes to my games though, I am unable to run them, as it gives me an ominous message saying that there was an error and it had to close. No specific details about the error though, just that I should look on here to see if there's anything familiar. All I have found is that these games should be running without a hitch.

Things I have tried:
Complete Removal and Installation of Wine
Installing DirectX (I did setup the specific libraries in the configuration)

Anyone have any advice at all as to what I am missing. How I can fix this. It would be really nice if I could manage to get things running reliably.

Confirmation that this is "Just weird" would also be useful, at least then I would know I'm not completely crazy.