[Wine] Re: Wine Gecko install notification

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 10 16:11:38 CST 2010

doh123 is not a silly way.     Wine presumes that gecko will be required to use mshtml.   The override is basically telling wine you don't want it.

Beaware what ones you have mshtml missing from and please make it displayed to endusers in interface.    Since mshtml can be a cause of failures.

Ie the default is partly to reduce numbers of users placing bugs because gecko is not installed.

Basically seams kinda silly to you.  Makes perfect logic to us.

Winetricks installs overrides so IE will work some might need "mshtml=native" instead of flat disabled in some cases.  That still allows if windows version for it to be used.

Reason for flat disable is iexplore mshtml can be sometime worse for application than no mshtml at all.

Also not all sections of wine mshtml depend on gecko.  I know the pop up is annoying.  Upgrades only happen when wine has changed versions.

The way I would have gone was checking wine version if wine version has changed then run with mshtml disabled for prefix update.   That way part of mshtml is on offer.  So more application support.

Also wine versions changing can break applications from time to time.