[Wine] The perils of GMAX

Bryan Baldwin bryan at katofiad.co.nz
Thu Jul 15 21:01:58 CDT 2010

On 07/16/2010 06:04 AM, A Nonny Moose wrote:
> gmax won't start up after the initial time.  The messages I am getting indicate that it has become case sensitive with respect to names.  The installer put in a directory named 'stdplugs' but the program wanted it to be 'StdPlugs'.  So I renamed it.  It still says these libraries fail to initialize.  I must be missing a windows module but I did put in the recommended winetricks things, and now, I am stuck.  Any ideas?

Hi,

WINE will read in additional DLL files that you specify manually on the
command line. Use the WINEDLLOVERRIDES environment variable, placed
before your launch command, following the syntax specified in the manual:

http://ftp.winehq.org/pub/wine/docs/en/wineusr-guide.html#AEN586

The actual library files should preferably be in the directory from
which you are entering the launch command. In these cases, I cd to the
actual "Program Files" directory inside the WINE bottle, copy the DLL's
there, and always launch the program from there. I've found that
character case in DLL filenames was irrelevent when loaded in this way,
but your mileage may vary.

	Bryan