[Wine] Re: OT: Xranr support for MacOSX {was: Wine Window not Maximizin

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Aug 20 15:13:16 CDT 2010

James Mckenzie wrote:

> If this were a Wine project problem, I would say, let's fix it.  It is not, it is an X11/video driver problem.  I have an IBM Thinkpad, with an ATI chip, same manufacturer as the chip in my MacBookPro.  It could do screen resizing in the late 1990s.  Actual screen size 1600x1200, I routinely displayed 640x480 on the screen, even in Linux.

I'm not sure what resizing is missing.  The only window resizing that should not work, because its not supposed to as far as I know, is when you run a virtual desktop, Wine isn't telling X11 that its not allowed to resize, and you can resize your virtual desktop windows, but its just garbage it the extra space.  I've run several programs that actually run in a window without a virtual desktop, and they resize just fine like they are supposed to.... but then again I haven't used Apple X11 in years, I stick to the latest Xquartz builds.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> At the wrath of Vitaly and others, please keep us up to date on this.  I don't normally run Alpha level code on my system, but if it is possible to 'back level' to 2.5.1, I will try and grab this package over the weekend (as well as update my local git) at an Internet Cafe.  Progress on Xranr is very important to providing fullscreen capabilities as well as frameless windows in X.  Hopefully, we will see much progress and a much earlier release of 2.6 because there are other features that MacOSX X11 needs.

if you install the actual installer version of the alpha for 10.6 it installs to /opt/X11, so it will only replace Xquartz and not touch Apple's X11, or Macports Xquartz installs.  This makes it really easy to just trash it and go back to like the 2.5.3 release.  I prefer running things through Macports... heck I use it to build almost everything for Wineskin, though a few things i use my own local repo portfiles, but most comes stock from Macports.  I often install multiple things and try different things... I keep multiple Macports installs in different folders and just symlink /opt/local to the build I'm currently using.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> Thank you all for your patience and please forgive this long reply to doh123's entry, but every Wine user should understand that Wine is not used just on Linux, and that not every UNIX release has perfect X11 implementation.  And no, we don't want to 'downgrade' to Linux.  We bought our Macs for the fantastic interface and the fact that the operating system is UNIXy in nature.

about 90% of Wine users automatically think Linux... everything is assume Linux unless said otherwise.... maybe one day that will change.  Mac OS X is more than UNIXy, it actually is UNIX certified, unlike Linux  :-P  While it doesn't really mean much other than to irritate a few Linux lovers, its fun to tell them OSX really is UNIX and Linux is just trying to be like UNIX.