[Wine] Making wine use the correct OpenGL libraries

ryan woodsmall rwoodsmall at mac.com
Sat Sep 5 14:44:54 CDT 2009

On Sep 5, 2009, at 3:53 AM, raziel2001au wrote:

> Sorry, but I can't agree with you there... firstly, I haven't run
> into the 64-bit compilation issue you've mentioned at all - it seems
> to automatically set -m32 for me.
>
> With regards to OpenGL, I would say it is very much broken because
> it refuses to use the OpenGL library file it should be using. If you
> do a ./configure (without parameters), it should automatically pick
> up the correct library/headers, but on Snow Leopard it doesn't. The
> header issue can be fixed with a -I/usr/X11/include. At this point
> it picks up GL libraries automatically, but it picks up libGL.
> 1.dylib, which is NOT the correct library, it should be using the
> one in the frameworks folder (libGL.dylib), otherwise you'll run
> into the situation where you have to specify library fallback paths
> for it to work. On top of this, it is not guaranteed to work on
> other systems, if another user only has libGL.dylib, it won't work.
> You can force it to look in /System/Library/Frameworks/
> OpenGL.framework/Libraries, but it refuses to see libGL.dylib, which
> is the library it should be using. It really just skips over it for
> some reason. If I'm not mistaken I think the full path to that file is
> even hardcoded in the configure script - but it gets skipped and
> picks libGL.1.dylib instead.
>
> The reason you have to enter a fallback library path is because your
> compiles are not using the correct GL library, as in, the one in the
> OpenGL.framework folder. If you compile under Leopard and transfer
> the binaries over to Snow Leopard, you do not need to specify
> fallback library paths or anything ridiculous like that - it just
> works and the result is transferrable to other Mac systems.

Well, all I can say is you're wrong.

Wine is an X11 program, no matter what *nix platform (Linux, BSD, OS
X) you're running on.  It *has* to use the libGL provided by X11.  You
don't have an understanding of how GL/GLX work under X11 on OS X - the
GL libs under /usr/X11/lib are essentially wrappers around the the
OpenGL framework.  However, you cannot simply link Wine directly
against the system framework since the X11 interface that Wine uses is
not provided by the system frameworks.  This is fact.

Please, understand something before commenting on it or saying that
"Wine devs need to look at what the problem is."  There is no
problem.  I am not a Wine dev, but I can get a working compile, with
little to no legwork, on Snow Leopard.  I sent you what I use to
compile and run Wine on Leopard/Snow Leopard; it works, I use it every
day.  If you can't be bothered to do some research on how the pieces
snap together, tough.  And if you want to distribute your packages:
the minute someone asks you a question on the Wine/X11/OS X
integration and you can't answer it, well double tough.

   ryan woodsmall
     rwoodsmall at mac.com