[Wine] Do you have to use command line to use win

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Mar 4 19:44:30 CST 2009

> vitamin The reason I wanted to get linux running is so I can study
> Microchip programming

Do you really need to run Windows executables to do that? Linux
cross-compilers are available for many of the common DSPs, e.g. the
Parallax STAMP, and there are Linux emulators for a number of other chip
architectures. I've used Motorola 6809 and 68000 emulators and there are
bound to be others.

> I like asm for programming but the command is a lot different. I know
> some of the basics but where to start when installing stuff is all new
> to me.

You should get one of the Linux sysadmin books (the O'Reilly books are
well-regarded in the *NIX world) and/or a copy of "Linux in a Nutshell".
These will cover the command line interface and writing shell scripts.
The ability to write shell scripts will really expand your ability to
manage and use Linux. Shell scripts are much more powerful that BAT
files.

If you want to write C for Linux you need something like "Linux System
Programming" (also from O'Reilly). I haven't seen that one, mainly
because I have the, now out of print, "Unix Systems Programming for
SVR4" which covers POSIX and is still relevant for current Linux
distributions. The POSIX and Unix C programming environment is
considerably more stable than the Windows environment.