[Wine] Tomb Raider 3 Cdrom

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Thu Dec 10 08:36:40 CST 2009

mickthebike wrote:
> Hi
> TR3 asks for the CD. Hmm can I mount the CD via winefile somehow or what do u suggest? What mountpoint?
> Thx Michael
Winefile is inappropriate. Don't use it. And I don't want to ever see
you recommending it again on this forum!

There are actually two components to this. First, the OS has to mount
the CD so Wine can see it. Then, Wine has to assign it a drive letter.
Typically, this is all done automatically. But not always. So here are
two things to check:

1. Did the OS mount the CD? (For your sake, I certainly hope so...) To
find out, look on your desktop somewhere for a CD icon. If it didn't,
you might have to mount it yourself. Don't ask about that around here;
there are plenty of Linux sites and forums all around the Internet that
will tell you how to do this.
2. Did Wine assign the CD a drive letter? To find out, open winecfg
(type "winecfg" from a Terminal), and go to the "Drives" tab. There's a
list of drive letters and their associated mount points. If your CD's
mount point isn't listed (to find THAT out, try opening the CD in your
file browser to see where that takes you), Wine didn't give it a drive
letter. That's easy to fix. Just create a new drive (click "Add") with
type "CD-ROM" and with your CD's mount point.

Again, Wine and Linux should do all this automatically, so you might not
have to do any of this.

HTH

Chip