[Wine] NVIDIA OR ATI

Darragh Bailey felix at compsoc.nuigalway.ie
Wed Oct 22 06:25:30 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 07:50:40PM -0500, Austin English wrote:
> I worded it poorly, but essentially, if you're worried about which
> video card to use with Wine, you're more than likely interested in
> games. In which case, performance is more important than principle.
>
> I personally have an Nvidia FX 5200, but no plans to upgrade, as the
> only game I play is Morrowind, which works fine. If I were to upgrade,
> I probably would choose ATI, to support their endeavor, not because
> their performance would sway me.
>
> Of course, it's the OP's choice, but keep in mind, the person who
> wants to run Office with Wine probably isn't worried about their video
> card...

Of course you could also hope that the nouveau project makes significant
progress in the next 6 months.

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

I personnally think they've done wonders so far, and with a little luck
decent 3D support should be along relatively soon [1]

[1] for a given definition of soon :)
--
Darragh

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."