[Wine] Overriding of .dll libraries

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Tue Nov 25 02:27:50 CST 2008

On Tuesday November 25 2008 03:12:07 Vincent Povirk wrote:
> Overriding libraries won't get you very far.
> L. Rahyen gave a fine explanation of how to find out what dll's an
> application is using. Trying to override them one by one is an
> approach, but it's not a very good one.

	You are right but there is too little details given so it is almost
impossible to give a better advice in this case (unless you have the program
to test; but even in such case it is usually a lot simpler when user gives
instructions how to reproduce the bug).

> Please file a bug (and follow up on it when people ask for more
> information) so that there is a chance to get the problem fixed in
> Wine, even if you do work around it successfully.

	I often try to remind users about usefulness of bug reporting (when
appropriate) but before giving such reminder I always trying to make sure
that there *is* a bug to report. From personal experience I know that
sometimes there is no bug to report but just user error or misconfiguration
of some kind. In such cases it is better to prevent user from invalid bug
reporting. Of course detailed description of the problem is essential in
order to make conclusions what is bug and what isn't.

> If it does work, all it will tell you is that Wine's implementation of the
> particular dll you switched probably has something wrong with it. It will
> not lead to a fix in Wine.

	Actually if it works it is very useful because it not only gives a user
possibility to get the job done but also helps to choose correct component in
bug report.