[Wine] Debugging "The typing of the dead"

Luca Ottaviano lucaotta at yahoo.it
Thu Mar 29 05:54:06 CDT 2007

Ok, I ran my app with +ddraw,+d3d.
I got a few warnings related to d3d here and there,
ie:

warn:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_SetCooperativeLevel
(0x16d0f8) Unhandled flag DDSCL_ALLOWREBOOT, harmless

warn:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_Clear Clearing depth
and/or stencil without a depth
stencil buffer attached, returning
WINED3DERR_INVALIDCALL

warn:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateSurface Creating a
surface with a POOL of DEFAULT with Lockable true,
that doesn't specify DYNAMIC usage.

I've looked the source for comments about the meaning
of the flags in SetCooperativeLevel
and I think the first warning is indeed "harmless".
I couldn't figure out anything about the second.
The third scares me a bit because is printed 150+
times. If I understand
correctly, the app is trying to load the textures, but
I can't see hard drive
activity. The app just changes screen resolution to
640x480 and then crashes
back to the desktop. (btw, I had to change color depth
to 16 bits because I got
a message complaining "not to be able to change color
depth")
Nearby the last warn I can see this log:

trace:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_GetAvailableTextureMem
(0x16dc98) : simulating 64MB, returning 60MB left

Is it possible that the app goes through a loop and
runs out of memory?
I also looked bugzilla for related bugs but I couldn't
find anything similar.

You can download a demo for free here:
http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/typingdead/tod-demo.zip.html

Any hints on what should I try next?
Regards,

Luca Ottaviano

L'email della prossima generazione? Puoi averla con la nuova Yahoo! Mail:
http://it.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html