[Wine] "Insufficient memory to perform operation"- acrobat 5 paper-capture plugin

Jens Gulden mail at jensgulden.de
Sun Sep 10 07:31:41 CDT 2006

Hello,

I happily use Wine with Acrobat Writer 5.0. The application itself runs fine without any
restrictions (only during installation: the shift-key must be held down during first startup, then
auto-update must be deactivated in the options).

Unfortunately the "Paper Capture"-plugin (for OCR on PDFs) does not run. It installs fine, but when
run, the screen becomes blank. Using alt-tab, an error dialog shows up:

"Insufficient memory to perform operation".

The plugin does not do the job on itself, but starts a seperate application 'Acrobat Capture
Server'. The error message results from this server application (seen in the title-bar). What
confuses me is the fact that a server-application is something without a user-interface, it should
run without calling any graphical functions. So why the blank screen? Maybe just a 'lost'
parent-frame of the error-dialog? After killing acrobat/wineserver, the desktop slowly becomes
usable again, as windows redraw when they get activated.

(Btw., the plugin runs fine when I boot the other OS, so there's surely enough physical memory
available.)

The problem appears in the same way on different versions of Wine, I tested 0.9.8, 0.9.12 and 0.9.20.

Thanks for any hints,
Jens