AW: [Wine] Ugly menu/dialog font of applications, using debian sarge and wine 0.9.8 and 0.9.22

Wolfram Lechner wolfram.lechner at surfeu.de
Sun Nov 12 03:19:13 CST 2006

Hello Jens,

thank you for the quick suggestion, and sorry for my delay in replying.

Here the results:

When I created the folder /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF and copied all
windows .ttf-Fonts into that folder the menus of my wine applications became
ok.
However, the dialog boxes still had the old malfunction (wrong font, no
umlauts, distortion of boxes).
After quite a bit of unsuccessful experimenting I recalled that I had read
something about the font installation in the wineusr-guide, here it is:

"3.3.3. Fonts
Font configuration, once a nasty problem, is now much simpler. If you have a
collection of TrueType fonts in Windows it's simply a matter of copying the
.ttf files into c:\windows\fonts. "

At the time of first reading I had not understood what folder they meant.
But now, I decided that they were talking about the  (debian) folder
'/home/username/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts', which is an empty folder after
installation.
So I moved the .ttf-Fonts from the /TTF-folder to this ~/.wine/.../ folder.
Now, the menus as well as the dialog boxes were fine!
But, only with the (wine provided) application 'wordpad' the menus were bad
again; however wine's 'notepad' was still fine...
As a remedy, I now copied the .ttf-Fonts additionally back into the
TTF-folder, that is, I have them twice... Now wine wordpad is also fine (Of
course, this wordpad is only a testing instrument with not very much
functionality in it).

So, thanks to you (and the other fellows who made good suggestions)!

Wolfram