[Wine] Re: Still trying to sort out an override problem

Bob Etheridge bobetheridge at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 12 13:43:44 CDT 2006

On 12/07/06 09:11 AM, Daniel Skorka wrote:
> Bob Etheridge <bobetheridge at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> The program I am trying to run quits with the following error messages:
>>
>> [...]
>
> Those are not error messages. A fixme is non-fatal.
>
>> I have tried running winecfg and have entered my program name in the
>> Applications tab, selected it, and then switched to the Libraries tab
>> and entered:
>>
>> [AppDefaults\\\\Olb.exe\\\\DllOverrides] ; address richedit interfaces
>> not displaying \"riched20\" = \"native\", \"riched32\" = \"native\"
>
> I'm confused by what you mean with "not displaying".
>
>> noticed is that when I get the fixme messages the terminal seems to lock
>> up and never returns to the prompt.
>
> What if you hit CTRL-C or CTRL-Z (i.e. quit or suspend) ?
>
>> My program file is located on Windows drive D: and I presume the
>> richedit libraries are in the system folder on drive C:.  Could that be
>> confusing Wine, or is it smart enough to sort that out?  My Windows
>> system is Win2k, btw.
>
> You _assume_? Don't you know where you put them? You aren't using your
> windows installation as C:, are you?
>
> Daniel

Hi Daniel,

 >> [AppDefaults\\\\Olb.exe\\\\DllOverrides] ; address richedit interfaces
 >> not displaying \"riched20\" = \"native\", \"riched32\" = \"native\"
 >
 > I'm confused by what you mean with "not displaying".

I'm confused also.  That line of code is taken word for word from the
Wine database for my program.  In some languages the semi-colon is a
comment, so I wondered whether that would wipe out any info after it.
But since this was on the official Wine web site I thought it must be
right.  Should I try removing everything from the semi-colon to
"displaying" out of the code?  I don't like making changes when I don't
understand exactly what I'm doing.

 >> noticed is that when I get the fixme messages the terminal seems to
lock
 >> up and never returns to the prompt.
 >
 > What if you hit CTRL-C or CTRL-Z (i.e. quit or suspend) ?

Yes, I can shut it down.  I just mentioned that because I thought it
might be a clue as to what was happening.

 >> My program file is located on Windows drive D: and I presume the
 >> richedit libraries are in the system folder on drive C:.  Could that be
 >> confusing Wine, or is it smart enough to sort that out?  My Windows
 >> system is Win2k, btw.
 >
 > You _assume_? Don't you know where you put them? You aren't using your
 > windows installation as C:, are you?

Yes, I assumed since the code was telling Wine to use the native dll
that it was already a part of my Windows system. It turns out that I
don't have those dlls.  So, provided I can find them somewhere on the
internet, what do I do with them?  Where do I put them so Wine can
access them?

Thanks for your patience.  I am new to Linux and even newer to Wine.  I
still have a lot to learn.

Bob