[Wine] Running Turbo C

CptDondo yan at NsOeSiPnAeMr.com
Mon Jul 10 17:29:45 CDT 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I'm trying to learn C in the university!
>
> I don't really care where the program _can_ run, only that I can run
> it from within the IDE. We're learning pointers and arrays and
> recursive functions. We are not learning to build GUIs. So I can use
> whatever compiles ANSI C, so long as it compiles from within the IDE
> because I'll make five hundred small changes and I need to run after
> each change.

OK, that sort of makes sense....

But I doubt you'll have much luck finding anything like Turbo C IDE for
linux....

I used to use it quite a bit when it came out, but linux is just
different....

IIRC correctly, you have an edit window, a run window, and an error window.

Sort of like an editor, a shell running make and the resulting
executable, and possibly another shell running gdb...

The problem is that most of us in linux land are too damn picky and
individualistic for a simple IDE to really gain popularity.

I use kate for some projects due to its ability to collapse and expand
blocks of code.  I use vi for quick changes.  I use cat and less and
grep to scan files.  Sometimes I use sed to make global changes.  I use
gedit sometimes instead of kate.  I use cross-compilers and different
versions of gcc.  I use all sorts of stuff, and the collection of little
tools I have is far richer than any single IDE.  And I can tile my
windows in X to look like an IDE, so what need have I for an IDE?

So I doubt you'll find an IDE similar to Turbo C....  The only time you
may find an IDE useful is for really complex tasks like dealing with Qt
(yeccchhhh).