[Wine] explorer.exe 100% kernel time?

Flying wu_yinghui at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 12 07:25:01 CST 2006

> From: "L. Rahyen" <research at science.su>
> Subject: Re: [Wine] explorer.exe 100% kernel time?
>
> On Monday December 11 2006 13:04, Flying wrote:
>>
>> System: Ubuntu Edgy (fresh installation)
>> Wine: 0.9.26~winehq0~ubuntu~6.10-1
>> Hardware: P4 2.60 + 1 GB RAM
>>
>> Problem:
>> 	Whenever I run an Windows application using Wine (e.g., winecfg,
>> utorrent), there is an instance of explorer.exe started in the
>> background. I'm fine with the additional process were it not for the
>> fact that it occupies 100% CPU time (all are kernel time) on my system.
>> Since my CPU has HT enabled, that basically means 50% of my CPU power is
>> gone just by this explorer.exe instance.
>>
>> Question:
>> 	Has anyone met similar situation before? Is there any known workaround
>> to this problem?
>
> 	This isn't normal and isn't typical. There are something wrong with your Wine
> package or your system configuration. You can try to download source code
> from winehq.org:
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wine/wine-0.9.27.tar.bz2 . Then unpack, cd
> to directory with Wine source code and try to compile it by executing (if you
> have 64-bit system):

Thanks for your information regarding the new Wine release, Rahyen. I've
just graded my Wine to 0.9.27 via dpkg update. (Sorry, but I was just
lazy to build it from source, since the 0.9.27~winehq0~ubuntu~6.10-1
package was out, I just used it.)

But it seems that the explorer.exe problem still persists--the process
still occupies 100% CPU time on one of one of my two Hyperthreading
threads. If I kill this instance of explorer.exe, the trayicon for
uTorrent is gone--thus I can no longer access uTorrent window if it was
minimized to tray.

My conclusion for now is, upgrading Wine didn't seem to help me solve
this problem. Any other clue?

Thanks again for your quick reply!

Cheers,

Freddie