[Wine]I don't understand

Nexohrion webmaster at shizukana.net
Sun Mar 13 10:08:00 CST 2005

On Sunday 13 March 2005 10:43, you wrote:
> Nexohrion wrote:
> >On Sunday 13 March 2005 04:05, Richard Wegner wrote:
> >>Hi there, I recently downloaded Wine version  20050301 for Mandrake.  I
> >>installed it using the RPM File Installer.  It went perfectly fine...I
> >>then went to www.mirc.com to download the latest version of mIRC and I
> >>typed in:
> >>wine mirc616.exe in terminal and got this:
> >>
> >>[docvell at localhost docvell]$ wine mirc616.exe
> >>Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "A:" =
> >>L"floppy" Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives
> >> "C:" = L"hd" Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives
> >> "D:" = L"hd" Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives
> >> "E:" = L"cdrom" Converted drive type to new entry
> >> HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "X:" = L"hd" Converted drive type to new entry
> >> HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "Y:" = L"network"
> >>Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "Z:" =
> >>L"network"
> >>Converted temp dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "TEMP" = L"X:\\"
> >>Converted path dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "PATH" =
> >>L"C:\\Windows;C:\\Windows\\System;X:\\;Y:\\"
> >>Converted windows dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "windir" =
> >>L"C:\\Windows"
> >>Converted system dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "winsysdir" =
> >>L"C:\\Windows\\System"
> >>Warning: the specified Windows directory L"C:\\Windows" is not
> >> accessible. Warning: the specified System directory
> >> L"C:\\Windows\\System" is not accessible.
> >>Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory
> >>'/home/docvell', starting in the Windows directory.
> >>wine: cannot open (null)
> >>[docvell at localhost docvell]$ wineserver: could not save registry branch
> >>to /home/docvell/.wine/system.reg : Permission denied
> >>wineserver: could not save registry branch to
> >>/home/docvell/.wine/userdef.reg : Permission denied
> >>wineserver: could not save registry branch to
> >>/home/docvell/.wine/user.reg : Permission denied
> >
> >= it looks like that your user.reg has wrong Access Permissions or is
> > owned by someone else, please take a look at that, and if possible change
> > it under root so your other account own the files again.
>
> Now can you say that in English and how to fix it...I only have my
> docvell account AND root on this system.

Well the ownership of the files like user.reg, system.reg and userdef.reg
could be root,
to check it out list your .wine directory with ls -l
you will see the access modes and the owner of the file
if its root, you can change it by using "chown" under root.
as example:
first su to root and then do:
chown docvell user.reg

and so with the other files.