[Wine]Softlinking to a dvd-drive with inconsistent mount points?

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Wed Aug 24 14:09:37 CDT 2005

Hiji schreef:
> In Suse 9.2, it was easy to softlink to a drive from
> /home/username/.wine/dosdevices because the mount
> point for the drive was always the same.  That is,
> /media/dvdrecorder was always where the disc would get
> mounted.
>
> NOW, with Suse 9.3, the mount point is
> /media/DISC_NAME.  Since each disk has a different
> name, there is never a consistent mount point.  So, I
> can't make Wine's "d:" drive the dvd-drive because the
> mount point name always changes.
>
> Does anybody know how to get around this or have any
> advice?  Is there something I have to do with FSTAB?
>
> Hiji

Link the drive directly to the device, perhaps?

Rather than linking to /media/whatever, you could link directly to
/dev/hdc (or whatever it the real device may be).

Alternatively, you could change/override the udev rules to provide
consistent behaviour rather than this variable behaviour. I can't tell
you how to do that exactly, as I don't need custom udev rules (and don't
use my install of SuSE enought to note how it behaves differently than
my main install of Gentoo), but udev is designed to allow custom rules,
so you should be able to do it. I'd check the SuSE sites or forums for
tips or documentation.

Hope this helps.

Holly