crash on priviledged instruction

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Oct 10 03:03:35 CDT 2001

Andreas Mohr Usenet 10/01 <a31dgo001 at sneakemail.com> wrote:

:> The question now is: Where do the SI register become NULL? Is it a good
:> choice to extend the relay logging by the register e.g. ES and SI? Or is it
:> more likely that the code where the register becomes initialized is skipped?

: It's NOT SI :-)

: It's *ES*:SI.

: --> Try to breakpoint winedbg on a location that's slightly *before* the
: crash
: (use --debugmsg +relay in order to find out a suitable address to break on),
: and singlestep until the crash occurs. That way you'll hopefully find the
: place
: where a NULL pointer gets loaded into ES:SI.
: Or maybe you can even definitely pinpoint the NULL pointer to a place in
: the relay trace... (not too likely, though)

I thought that the wine debugger is broken with 16 bit code and I didn't
manage to set breakpoints or single step in 16 bit code since long...

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de