!$!$!$!$.pfr and others

Ove Kaaven ovek at arcticnet.no
Wed Mar 7 10:51:11 CST 2001

On 7 Mar 2001, Andreas Mohr wrote:

> Stefan Meyer <stem at stem.de> wrote:
> > Hi!
>
> > When I started Wine (some Jan. 2001 version), it moved some
> > directories from my windows partition, renamed them and made
> > them write-protected. As I ran down Linux and restarted
> > Windows, the moved directories still were there. I had to
> > rename them and to move them back.
>
> > How can I tell Wine not to mess up my windows directory structure?
> Simple. You can't ;)
> That's why I added that backup statement to the README.
>
> (it seems to be caused by missing registry keys)
>
> Somebody should examine it and try to find out whether we can do anything
> to get rid of that problem.

It's possible that the problem could have been avoided if the user had
installed Wine properly by actually installing winedefault.reg. The most
plausible thing I can think of is that Explorer in its first-time-install
routines probably does:

1. Checks whether registry keys for shell folders exist

2. If yes, skip rest

3. Create shell folder keys (with typical shell32 stuff)

4. Look at created shell folder registry keys and see if the directories
already exist

5. If no, skip to 7

6. Assume that the existing directories shouldn't be there (say, leftovers
from a failed Windoze install), and rename them to $!$!$!$!.something

7. Create directories belonging to registry keys