DIB Engine, some summarization

Daniel Remenak dtremenak at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 12:54:29 CST 2007

On 2/11/07, Damjan Jovanovic <damjan.jov at gmail.com> wrote:
> What about the case where you draw with GDI, then render with OpenGL
> on top of that, then draw on top of that with GDI, then swap buffers?
> If you draw only client-side, you have to copy to the server, then
> copy back, then copy to the server *again*. You have to upload or
> download the image *every time* you go between OpenGL and GDI drawing,
> whereas when you draw with X11, there is no uploads/downloads unless
> you use DIB sections and draw directly.

Not that it's relevant to this conversation (since wine needs to
support legacy apps), but just so you know, even Microsoft no longer
supports this sample scenario.  Drawing with GDI over OpenGL (or DX),
and reading from the GDI buffer on a hardware-accelerated window, are
both undefined (officially "not supported") operations on Windows
Vista.  Caused a ton of problems for my company's product.

I can't directly quote what our nVidia rep sent to us (for legal
reasons), but this link might be helpful:
http://blogs.msdn.com/greg_schechter/archive/2006/05/02/588934.aspx

--Daniel Remenak