A great way for non programmers to help with Wine - Audio

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Sun May 7 22:28:08 CDT 2006

I've taken the liberty of changing the subject of Robert Reif's
recent email and am expanding it a bit, because I don't want it
to be ignored.

The task is to perform a basic test of Wine's audio
support to make sure it's a stable platform for us to build upon;
what a great way for all you lurkers to help us out <wicked grin>.

The basic procedure is - get a current version of Wine,
test the sound, and send the results in.  It won't take long
(took me ~30 minutes), and it'll be very helpful.

More details:
  Checkout Wine from CVS or git
  Figure out if you're using OSS, Alsa, or Alsa
    in OSS emulation mode (lsmod is your friend,
    and winecfg is quite nice as well)
  Run the test:
    cd dlls/winmm/tests
    WINETEST_INTERACTIVE=1 wine winmm_test.exe.so wave 2>&1 | tee /tmp/wave.out
    *important*
      As it runs, you should hear a nice steady set of soothing beeps,
      all at the same pitch and duration.  If you hear any variation
      from that, make a note of it, so you can report it.
      It's important to listen the whole way through; a tad boring,
      I know, but important; it'll shift to a virtual device half way
      through and it's important to hear if it keeps on working or not.
  Report your results:
    Pack up your output files, and report your results along
    with your sound driver info.  Failures are obviously the most
    interesting, but success on not previously validated hardware/driver
    combos are likely to be useful too.

Sound report:
  Kernel 2.6.13
  Sound driver:  snd_intel8x0
  Sound driver description from lspci:
    Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
  32 bit Debian system
  Alsa version 1.0.10-2
  Tested against Wine CVS up to date as of 5/7/06, 10:27
    (without Robert's last two patches :-/; folks might want to wait
    a hair until those are applied)

Results:
  Tested under winealsa, as well as wineoss with OSS emulation
  All sounds played flawlessly.  Alsa runs reported 0 failures.
  OSS runs reported 48 failures; not clear if that was relevant
  Only anomaly is that the modem driver is treated as an OSS
    sound card, and so has a number of flawed attempts to play
    against it
  Full log files of the runs attached.

Cheers,

Jeremy