Vista compatibility page

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Tue Mar 14 15:56:30 CST 2006

Potentially this is old news, but via Raymond Chen we learn of this page:

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnlong/html/AppComp.asp

Which talks about Vistas application compatibility. Interesting points
that stand out:

* They are dropping WinHelp and CHM support. You'll have to install it
  from their website for it to work   (my first thought: wtf?)

* IsBadReadPtr/IsBadWritePtr are now "banned". I wonder what that means.
  Presumably it just means they don't use them internally for the APIs
  anymore.

* Windows will now silently fail to modify certain protected system files
  even if you're the administrator (basically the STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
  error is suppressed to stop installers tripping up).

* They dropped D3D RM. Not many apps use this but I think at least my
  fathers sailing game does.

So there we have it - this appears to be the first release in which they
simply started dropping APIs.