wine_main_preload_info not found, cannot use first megabyte, *.exe don't work

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Fri Jul 28 19:58:31 CDT 2006

Hello!

Something strange to happened my Wine installation recently.  I'm
getting following messages if I run any program from Wine:

$ winemine
wine_main_preload_info not found
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address
space, please report
wine_main_preload_info not found
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address
space, please report

The programs still work fine after those for lines are printed.  What's
worse is that that Windows PE files don't work at all, including those
that come with Wine:

$ wine winhlp32.exe
wine_main_preload_info not found
wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\winhlp32.exe": Module not found

I'm using current Wine from git on Fedora Core development (future FC6)
for x86_64, glibc-2.4.90, gcc-4.1.1, Linux 2.6.18-rc2 (actually, the
current version from the wireless-2.6 branch).  The CPU is Intel with
EM64T.  Wine is compiled with default settings for i386 by the i386
compatibility compiler and i386 compatibility libraries included in
Fedora.  I removed ~/.wine to start with a clean system.

Since I keep updating the kernel and Wine almost every day and I
upgraded from FC5 to Development recently, it's hard to say what's the
exact reason.

P.S. I have a 32-bit Ubuntu 6.04 installation on the same machine, so I
used chroot to compile and run Wine under Ubuntu under the same 64-bit
kernel.  I also used linux32 to fool uname into thinking it's an i686
machine.  The messages from ELF programs are gone, but PE files still
fail:

$ winemine
$ wine winhlp32.exe
wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\winhlp32.exe": Module not found

Moreover, if I run this Wine on Fedora, the results are the same - no
more messages about wine_main_preload_info and setup_dos_mem.  I guess
it's a compile issue.  Unfortunately, the difference between
config.status in both builds is quite significant to pinpoint the
reason.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin