Possible bug in Wine or NDISWRAPPER

gslink gslink at one.net
Mon Jul 24 15:44:41 CDT 2006

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 7/24/06, gslink <gslink at one.net> wrote:
>
>> What you say is correct but the result is the same.  The combination of
>> NDISWRAPPER and any other program fails.  In this case it is Wine.  This
>> is not the fault of Wine in any way but it happens.  It is a good idea
>> to keep this behavior in mind as NDISWRAPPER is not the only program
>> that uses too much stack under some conditions and blows Wine.
>

> NDISWRAPPER is not a program.  It is a kernel driver.
> There is a huge difference: there's no protection to keep
> kernel driver bugs from killing the kernel or apps.
> And indeed, that's what you're seeing here.
> There should be *absolutely no* userspace app that can crash
> Wine (except by using up all swap space).  Were there one, it would
> not be the app's fault, but rather a kernel bug.
>
> If you want to use NDISWRAPPER, you probably have to configure
> your kernel with larger kernel thread stacks.
> See http://lwn.net/Articles/149977/
> - Dan

You miss my point.  Somebody puts a defective driver in Linux and Wine
gets the blame.  If you recompile your kernel with a larger stack you
will have no problems.  This particular stack bug has been responsible
for numerous complaints about several programs that ran perfectly.  It
is not confined to NDISWRAPPER.  If Wine or some other program starts
doing this kind of thing it is best to look in the kernel.  The problem
is that it is hard to detect.  I suspect we will be seeing more of this
problem because when it happens it makes whatever program the user is
running seem defective.  If you can't figure out what is wrong with Wine
then this is one place to look because there may not be anything wrong
with Wine.