Open Invention Network

Michael Jung mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Apr 26 14:04:20 CDT 2006

Hello,

I've just read an article on Linux Weekly News, which I guess might be
interesting for Wine: http://lwn.net/Articles/178673/ (How Mono got into
Fedora)

I'll try to summarize: Basically, Novell bought Commerce One when they went
bancrupt. Commerce One had some important patents related to XML webservices.
Novell donated those to a newly formed organization called "Open Invention
Network". OIN gives royalty free licences to companys and individuals who
agree not to sue certain open source projects for violating their patents in
turn. (http://openinventionnetwork.com/pat_linuxdefpop.html - Wine is
currently not on the list).

The interesting thing is the following. If a project, which is on this list,
is sued for patent infringment, then it is allowed to use the OIN patents in
a countersuit.

I hope this isn't old news. Perhaps Wine should apply to get on OIN's "Linux
definition" list?

Bye,
--
Michael Jung