Fontforge Dependency (was: Wine Front-End development)

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Apr 18 12:42:10 CDT 2006

> > Well, if someone wants to do more work for the sake of argument, then I
> > guess we live in a free world. But still, the fonts are such a fringe
> > part of wine that I just can't see any extra work to be worth it. For a
> > while one can just consider fontforge to be a "proprietary" tool, and
> > wine would just ship the sources and resulting fonts. It's just a matter
> > of being practical.
>
> Looks like you are not aware how much pain gcc bugs (like a strength-reduce

We're talking about a couple of fonts and a relatively obscure tool, not about
the compiler which compiles the whole wine tree. Comparing fontforge to gcc
in the context of this discussion is a long shot to say the least. I'm not
trying to say that gcc had no bugs, etc. I'm just arguing for including those
silly ttfs in the source distibution, that's all.

Cheers, Kuba