WoW crashes in 'wine_cp_mbstowcs' under certain circumstances.

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 14:17:57 CDT 2006

On 4/17/06, Tomas Carnecky <tom at dbservice.com> wrote:
> Wine doesn't crash in this function, sorry, it's a bug in pf_vsnprintf()
> which causes snprintf() to write beyond the end of the buffer.
>
> I've attached a patch that fixes it for me, but it's probably better not
> to create such large buffers on the stack.
> Anyone with a better fix?
>
> tom

Basically your making number big enough to hold the output.  You don't
need to keep track of the max size. If it got truncated, it would be
wrong anyway and the program may crash in a less obvious way. I'd say
do this: Find out the minimum required size for number to make WoW not
crash, and round up to the nearest 10's. Like your test required 91,
make number 100. Hopefully we only need to do this once, and looking
at the code, I'm sure that windows has a limitation like this
somewhere too.

Jesse