WM_SIZING

Rob D rddone at att.net
Wed Oct 26 22:49:20 CDT 2005

I Finally got Wine working on Solaris 9 and tweaked the Makefiles to get my
250k lines of code app to compile on Winelib!!
Of course it crashes immediately and core dumps but that is (apparently
known) issue that I will investigate later.

Due to the extensive amount of time it took to get 3 monitors and Wine
working on Solaris 9, I am just running the Win32 executable with Wine.

I found a few really weird things in Wine that differ from Windows. Running
on Wine exposed a bug in my code that was calling a function in a member
class of a class that had a NULL pointer.
foo->bar->doStuff ran just fine in windows when foo == 0. The windows
debugger stepped into the function, through it, and worked fine. Really
bizarre?!?!?!?

There were a couple other things that were slightly different on Wine than
Windows, and were easily fixed or reworked. The only thing that is not
easily work-around-able, is that it seems that there are no WM_SIZING
messages sent when running on Wine. WM_SIZE messages are sent just fine,
but not a single WM_SIZING, ever. This is a major problem.

Is this a known issue or something that needs extra setup to work?

The only other major issue that I have is the creation of dialogs on a
specific monitor in a 3 monitor (has to be non Xinerama) setup. I dont
think this is a Wine specific issue, but since it has to do with setting of
$DISPLAY before creating the dialog, it is further complicated from running
in Wine.

Fun fun
Rob Done