Linking wine *dll.so libraries with Linux applications ?!

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 08:48:13 CDT 2005

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 10/20/05, Alexander Efremov <vilgus at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Actually my problem is little bit different. I'm creating a library
>>for Linux which utilizes some features of other Linux libraries +
>>additionally I wand to utilize the avifil32.dll for the AVI stuff. The
>>architecture is somethink like
>>
>>|Linux Executable| --uses--> |Linux *.a and *.so libraries| +
>>+ |my Linux *.so library| --uses--> |Other Linux *.a and *.so
>>libraries + WineLib avifil32.dll.so|
>>
>>It's very pitty that we have all the features of Win32 *.dll libraies
>>reimplemened for Linux but can't use them without the emulator.
>

> You might be tempted to pursue another,
> much more ambitious alternative by
> making something like 'minwine' analogous to
> mingw32, i.e. strip Wine down to the parts that
> can just link into a normal linux app.  It would have
> to be able to load video codec DLLs to be useful,
> which might be difficult.  I wouldn't try this route
> if you want to get anything done and usable in
> the short term.
Isn't this exactly what mplayer is doing? Afair "look at how mplayer is
doing" was a much used answer to people wanting to connect to their
Windows DLLs which did few or no Win32 calls at all.

bye
	michael
--
Sr. Network Engineer            Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart