Stop-ship 0.9 problem

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sun Oct 2 08:04:45 CDT 2005

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 13:21:21 +0900, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> That's not a Wine problem, that's a correct behaviour.

This is a reasonable argument, but for such a user visible and annoying
problem I think we have to make this a special case.

> I'd argue that it's not a Wine problem/bug at all

I'd argue that it's not a Wine bug, but it's definitely a Wine problem.

Many people will judge the last 10 years of effort on the basis of this
release - first impressions matter and if it looks unusably ugly out of
the box then peoples first impressions will be poor.

> We can do nothing to improve hinting support in FreeType.

Hmm, are we sure? Maybe it would be possible to improve the bytecode
hinter. But, not in time for 0.9 of course, for which the only reasonable
solution is to force antialiasing to be on by default.

>                                      And crippling Crossover (by making
> it differ with WineHQ for no good reason) because of that is not a way
> to go IMO.

The differential would be a single line, we deal with much more complex
differences all the time.

> In any case if a Wine user wants to see correctly displayed TrueType
> fonts with correct document layout (as it depends on the rendered glyph
> metrics) he/she has to use patented FreeType. And that's for sure the
> problem of a Linux distro vendor who must take care of it.

As it costs money per unit, and most Linux distros don't, I guess we won't
be seeing hinter enabled distros anytime soon.

thanks -mike