Re; Question about current Shell Folder registry settings...

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 10:18:42 CST 2005

Hi Markus,
> Desktop                    z:\home\mgoemmel\Desktop
(snip)
> Can anybody tell me why "Desktop" is set to Z: instead of set
> to "c:\windows\profiles\mgoemmel\Desktop"?

Because this (z:\home\mgoemmel\Desktop) is the location of your Linux
desktop.  If you save stuff to "Desktop," you expect it to appear there,
yes?

Perhaps this shouldn't be done inside shell32 (where it currently is), but
in winecfg instead.  The trouble of course is that winecfg isn't run
during installation.  There was a patch that ran winecfg in an install
mode from wineprefixcreate, had it gone in this would be possible.

> And as a second question: would it be ok to add "My Music",
> "My Pictures" and "My Video" to this registry key? I would do
> this if anybody would agree that it's ok, and would send the
> necessary patches. Some if my programs blames me about these
> three missing values.

If an app depends on them, then yes, by all means do.

> If yes, where should it point to? z:\home\mgoemmel\My Music?
> Or would it be not much better to also point "Personal" to
> "c:\windows\profiles\mgoemmel\My Documents" too?

Several questions in one here!  Well, since Linux doesn't really have a
"My Music" folder, I think it makes sense just to point it to the same
place as "Personal," wherever that is.  That, in turn, defaults to ~,
since that is the closest thing to a "My Documents" directory in Linux.

Incidentally, if you don't like the defaults, you can always change them.
Just be sure to change them in "User Shell Folders" rather than "Shell
Folders," the latter is deprecated and is treated as read-only (by both MS
and Wine.)

--Juan