usb driver proxy

Marcus Meissner meissner at suse.de
Mon Nov 14 06:20:24 CST 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 12:58:12PM +0200, Maris Paupe wrote:
> Hi,
> First of all, sorry for my bad English. I have a USB device which doesn' t
> have a driver in linux, I wrote it as kernel module, but because I want to
> run windows software under wine which uses this device it seems that I will
> need to write something like proxy in wine (like audio and video drivers are
> written) to enable my software to use this device. Right now I am planning
> to rewite this driver using libusb and implement everything in wine's proxy.
>
> Maybe somebody have some dummy driver for purposes like this or I sould just
> take audio or some other driver and use it as starting point, maybe you have
> some useful suggestions to give me before I start?

It is a nice idea :)

We have some work going on on hooking new devices (openable by
CreateFiule() from the make-safedisc-work crowd).

It is not yet finished, but you likely can hook yourself in.

I guess you only need to provide USBD.SYS <-> libusb functionality.

You could also write a driver using "libusb" as native ...

Ciao, Marcus